Introduce Yourself!

This forum is used for off-topic discussions.
OnLashoc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Introduce Yourself!

Post by OnLashoc » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:52 pm

Hello and welcome!

I am Nate Binford aka OnLashoc, the creator of "The Dankest Odyssey", "Fight 4 Flight Online", "The Soul of Something", "The Soul of Something: Aiden", and countless other un-named projects! I am a long time MechCommander, MechCommander 2, MechWarrior 4 & MechWarrior Online player going all the way back to MPlayer & the MSN Gaming Zone.

Over the past several years I longed to make my very own game, however, due to real life circumstances a long distance move and illness in the family I never had a serious chance at learning unabated. So after working on various other things to get my feet wet in developing, I wrote and created a couple graphic novels. Around November / December 2017 I finally decided to learn a programming language.

Initially I started with Unity, and after about a month and a half I felt like I learned some, but hardly enough to start making my own game. I took several Udemy courses and eventually just gave up. That was, until one day while browsing through Steam, I came across an old engine / game maker that I had tried my hand at once upon a time but deleted shortly after.

While looking at the latest greatest version, I noticed how much the engine had evolved! That engine was GameMaker Studio 2.0. After tinkering around with it for several weeks and doing tutorial after tutorial, I decided to take it further and purchased a license for it. After about a month I decided I would finally make my very own game. That game was Fight 4 Flight Online.

The only problem was I knew enough to make assets, art, and animations, I didn't know how to make this awesome multiplayer game I've dream't about. So I began looking for collaborators. After settling on a few, we moved forward and made great progress. However, at about 4 months into the project, my team just disappeared. I was so far behind where I wanted to be after continuing on for a month, I just decided to put it on the shelf for now.

Fast forward to September 2018. I had began writing and plotting a rogue-like dungeon crawling turn-based combat RPG. I had NeverWinter Nights / Baldur's Gate / Dungeons & Dragons the board game in mind. However, I had to take it one step further. I decided to turn this fantasy of mine into an awesome dark humor adventure about life and death.

So fast forward again to now. I currently work a 40 hour full time job and and a part time job in the evenings. Whenever I have down time I am working on "TDO" and continue learning GML.

Anyways, feel free to ask me anything and I will do my best to answer!

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy the world I am constantly working towards creating!

Nate B. aka Onnie

Renzo

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Post by Renzo » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:50 pm

Hello all!

Glad to be here. There is a lot we can take from our past experiences to put in to these projects. To work on art with a greater purpose is a lot of fun. There are many fascinating game mechanics.

OnLashoc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Post by OnLashoc » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:49 pm

Welcome Renzo!

I will be uploading lots of stuff here and opening up special areas for special members and guests soon.

Onnie